Presidential candidates including Julian Castro and Pete Buttigieg have released their plans for expanding disability including expanding Social Security as well as the ADA (American with Disabilities Act). Buttigieg's plan has been described as very comprehensive including the following proposals for SSA disability benefits which are significant:
- Eliminate the “benefit cliff” for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) so benefits gradually phase out until recipients reach nearly $45,000 in annual earnings.
- Eliminate SSDI's ineffective current work incentives.
- Reduce excessive wait times for SSDI and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) appeals cases.
- Enable SSDI participants to start receiving income benefits as soon as they are admitted to the program.
- Eliminate SSDI's 24-month waiting period for Medicare coverage.
- Update critical SSI thresholds to allow people to receive greater assistance as costs of living rise.